Thursday, September 15, 2011

Colic Frolic

I hate to use this word in my post title, because it is such a nasty, nasty word.  However, it appears this is what we are indeed battling.  After a visit with the pediatrician today, we believe the boys (and us) are fighting colic.  Precious though they may be, it has been a flat rough few weeks in this household.  From what I've read lately about colic (....eeww, I've come to hate even the sound of the word), it peaks around 6-8 weeks and usually tapers off around 12 weeks.  The boys turned 9 weeks yesterday.  Three more weeks?!?!  Can we survive?!?!  We'll see.  It is certainly one of the most challenging experiences I have ever been through.  Like Kate, they seem to struggle with reflux.  We have them on medication to help with this, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good.  Holding them seems to comfort them, but sometimes even that does not work.  Tough thing for a mama, not being able to soothe a crying baby.  It can begin to wear on my nerves, at times.  When I found out we were expecting twins, I prayed for patience.  I think the Lord is definitely trying to show me this.  Last night was particularly rough (although there have been MANY, MANY rough nights...for me AND for Joe).  When I could not get them calmed down, I caved and loaded them into my car at 3:30am and proceeded to drive around the neighborhood.  These days this is one of the only things that will soothe them.  Sometimes, the vacuum cleaner or the hair dryer will work...sometimes.  They refuse to be put down in their cribs or their bouncy seats, and lately, they've decided they don't even care for the swing either.  Until just 2 nights ago when they slept through their 3am feeding, they had not slept for longer than a 2 hour stretch...ever, that any of us could recall, anyway.  Joe and I are still going on about 4 hours of sleep each night.  Grammy is still generously staying with us during the weeks to help, thank goodness!  Please pray for us...colic is rough, but twins with colic is just about impossible :(
On a positive note...health-wise the boys appear to be doing great.  For this we are truly thankful.  They have gained weight beautifully for preemies, more than doubled their birth weight.  At today's 2-month checkup Matthew weighed in at 10lbs 12oz and John was 10lbs 15oz...about 30th percentile!  At our last checkup we still weren't even on the charts, so we are thrilled they are doing so well.  Each baby had to get 3 shots :( and an oral vaccine today.  We'll go back for our 4 month checkup in November.    

1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. The hits just keep on comin!! Praying for colic to go far, far away and NEVER come back!! Sorry to hear this and I'll continue to pray for all of you!! Glad those babies are putting on the weight!! YAY!!

    ReplyDelete